Junior Fellows Application Available
About the Program:
The Junior Fellowship Program supports the research of outstanding UMass seniors majoring in any discipline of biological sciences. Each Fellow receives a cash award and particpates in a seminar course that involves discussion of their research projects, scientific perspectives, and career objectives. The program seeks to enhance the experience of students who are already working in a research laboratory in order to better prepare them for success in the interdisciplinary research environments of the future.
Students eligible to apply to the Junior Fellows Program include life science majors in their Junior year with an overall grade point average of 3.3 or better.
Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are available now. The application deadline is April 19th, 2013. Click here to apply.
There are 6 parts to the application that must be completed for full consideration:
1. Complete the Student Application Form.
2. Upload a Personal Statement: This essay is a very important part of the application. Please write a 1-2 page essay (less than 1500 words) describing your research interests, academic history, career goals, and any other experiences that will help us assess your application.
3. Upload a Proposed Research Project: Please develop and discuss the specific goals of your Junior Fellow's research project with your Faculty Sponsor. Then, write a 1-2 page summary of your proposed research plan for the 2013-2014 year.
4. Upload an Unofficial Copy of your Transcript.
5. Request a letter of reference from your Faculty Sponsor. Please provide this URL to your faculty sponsor.
6. Request a second letter of reference: This letter should be from someone (a faculty member, not a TA or postdoctoral supervisor) who can comment on your academic abilities and aptitude for research. We do not recommend that students use employers, unless employment was related to scientific research (such as pharmaceutical company or university lab). Please provide this URL to your faculty sponsor.
For information about the program, please contact:
Gerald Downes, Ph.D.
Wei-Lih Lee, Ph.D.
Past Junior Fellows:
- Welcome Letter
- Department at a Glance
- Current News
- Upcoming Events
- Job Openings
- How to Contact Us
- How to Find Us
- Administrative Services
- Computer Services
- Organization Chart/ Committee Structure
- Major Requirements
- Major Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Recommended Course Sequences
- Minor Requirements
- Departmental Honors
- Course Catalog
- Course Websites
- Course Applications
- Learning Goals
- Research Opportunities
- Awards & Scholarships
- Residential Programs
- Undergrad Handbook (PDF)
- Integrative Experience
- Biology Computer Resource Center
- Central Microscopy
- Genomics & Bioinformatics
- Natural History Collections
- Single Molecule/Live Cell Imaging Facility
- Vibrating Probe Facility
- Zebrafish Facilities
- Make a Gift…