Biology Students who are already members of Commonwealth Honors College (CHC): all Biology majors in CHC who are Sophomores or higher are assigned a Faculty advisor. You will receive an email with the name and contact information of the advisor. Please make an appointment with your advisor for general questions about Departmental Honors (DH).
To complete Departmental Honors in Biology CHC students must take:
- Two Honors classes in Biology with a grade of B or better. One course can be at any level; one course must be at 300 level or higher*.
- Individually Contracted Honors Thesis, Biol 499Y/T, typically taken for 3 credits in the Fall and Spring semesters of the Senior year. Use the forms and instructions for these courses to register. To complete this option, students work in a faculty laboratory (in the Biology Department or other life science department) to perform the thesis research. Students are responsible for identifying a suitable laboratory for the Thesis research**. A grade of B or better in both semesters is required***.
- Or Seminar (a course-based) Thesis option. Course options will be listed on SPIRE, and have a 499 number. Currently, Biology offers one 499 course (Research Methodology); an additional course on Health Care Policy (offered through the department of Public Health) will be available starting Fall 2014. A grade of B or better in both semesters is required***.
- All students must also complete the General Studies component of the honors curriculum.
* Current honors courses in Biology include:
- 105H Biology of Social Issues;
- 190H Quantitative Biology of the Cell;
- 190H2 Quantitative Systems Biology;
- 383H Gene and Genome Analysis;
- 477H Bioimaging;
- 486H Molecular Biology of Model Systems;
- 487H Tropical Field Biology.
Please consult the complete list of Officially Recognized Honors Courses.
*** The minimum grade requirement applies to each 499 course used to satisfy the Thesis requirement, as well as the archived manuscript produced for the Capstone Experience.
Students who are not yet members of the Commonwealth Honors College can apply for admissions to DH in Biology. Prior to applying, students are strongly encouraged to identify a mechanism by which they can complete the Thesis portion of the DH requirements.
Consult with Patricia Wadsworth, the Biology Departmental Honors Coordinator, if you have specific questions about requirements or departmental opportunities and for required signatures.
Note: The Registrar maintains the requirements for graduating with Latin honors (Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude).
- Welcome Letter
- Department at a Glance
- Current News
- Upcoming Events
- Job Openings
- How to Contact Us
- How to Find Us
- Administrative Services
- Computer Services
- Organization Chart/ Committee Structure
- Major Requirements
- Major Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Recommended Course Sequences
- Minor Requirements
- Departmental Honors
- Course Catalog
- Course Websites
- Course Applications
- Learning Goals
- Research Opportunities
- Awards & Scholarships
- Residential Programs
- Undergrad Handbook (PDF)
- Integrative Experience
- Biology Computer Resource Center
- Central Microscopy
- Genomics & Bioinformatics
- Natural History Collections
- Single Molecule/Live Cell Imaging Facility
- Vibrating Probe Facility
- Zebrafish Facilities
- Make a Gift…