Arthropod acoustic communication is a primary focus at the Patek Lab. Here you can find our acoustically oriented research projects along with sounds and video of spiny lobsters (Palinuridae) and mantis shrimp (Stomatopoda).
Lab Assistant position available (position filled)
We are looking for an enthusiastic, reliable undergraduate interested in biological or bioengineering research to assist with general tasks related to running the laboratory.
- Assist with ongoing research projects
- Care for marine animals – feeding, cleaning, aquarium tank maintenance, making saltwater.
- Acquire papers and books from the library.
- Provide general assistance, including photocopying, scanning, database management, and running errands
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Please send a cover letter and resume by email to Prof. Patek (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include information about previous job experience(s), at least two references, and a brief statement of how this job matches your goals and whether you are eligible for work-study funding. We will only review applications containing this information.
- Experience in at least ONE of the following areas: engineering, physics, biomechanics, evolutionary/functional morphology, general biology or marine animal care
- Organized, detail-oriented, dependable and willing to learn new skills
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and library literature searches.
- Ability to learn new computer programs.
Hours and salary
8-10 hrs/week, $11-12/hour