Arthropod acoustic communication is a primary focus at the Patek Lab. Here you can find our acoustically oriented research projects along with sounds and video of spiny lobsters (Palinuridae) and mantis shrimp (Stomatopoda).
Undergraduate job opening in the Patek Lab (FILLED)
Laboratory Assistant position in the Patek Lab
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED - thanks for applying!
We are looking for an enthusiastic, reliable undergraduate interested in biological or bioengineering research. In addition to the general lab tasks outlined below, the student would be involved in a research project analyzing the evolution of morphological shape in mantis shrimp. The specific research duties would involve analyzing digital images of mantis shrimp using custom computer software.
- Assist with ongoing research projects (digital image analysis)
- Care for marine animals – feeding, cleaning, aquarium tank maintenance, making saltwater.
- Acquire papers and books from the library.
- Scan papers into a digital library.
- Provide general assistance, including photocopying, database management, and running errands
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Please send a cover letter and resume by email to Prof. Patek (email@example.com). Please include information about previous job experience(s), at least two references, and a brief statement of how this job matches your goals. We will only review applications containing this information.
- Experience in at least ONE of the following areas: engineering, physics, biomechanics, evolutionary/functional morphology, general biology or marine animal care
- Organized, detail-oriented, dependable and willing to learn new skills
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and library literature searches
- Ability to learn new computer programs.
Hours and salary
8-10 hrs/week, $11-12/hour