Microbial ecology and genomics
Here is a series of short activities in which you can:
Build a phylogenetic tree by hand based on a distance matrix
Compare your tree with the output from the EBI website
Use BLAST to construct a distance tree of a human gene associated with obesity
Phylogeny Resources and Links
- The Tree of Life Project
- Constructing a Phylogenetic Tree Based On Sequence Data from Access Excellence
- Phylogenetic Tree activity using the hemoglobin gene
- Harvard Forest Outreach Activities
- Human Microbiome Project
- Virtual Bacterial ID Laboratory at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Metagenomics and Our Microbial Planet
- American Association for Microbiology Education links with activities, video, audio...
Feel free to contact me if you have questions, suggestions...